After reports were published in media and Durgapur news website durgapuradda.com, about the disappointment of the family of the Durgapur sailor of Indian navy, perceived to be dead in a submarine blast, SDO of Durgapur visited the home of the sailor Malay Halder, in DPL township of Durgapur yesterday.
Malay was one of the 18 sailors feared dead in the INS Sindhurakshak blast on August 14 early morning near Mumbai coast.
Abhishek, Malay’s younger brother, said: “SDO madam came to our home and met my father. She wanted to know about the incident and expressed hergrief. She spent about half an hour with us and promised to provide all kinds of assistance from the administration.”
According to sources, Burdwan district magistrate Saumitra Mohan had instructed Durgapur SDO Kasturi Sengupta to meet the Halder family and offer all necessary help.
Mrinal Halder, father of Malay Halder, an employee of the state-run Durgapur Projects Limited said on Tuesday (August 20): “The least State Government could have done is to stand by us in this hour of grief. I had expected the state government to co-ordinate with the navy and help us find out if he is alive. My son worked to defend the country; we had expected more sympathy from the government. ”
Meanwhile, Durgapur CPM MP Saidul Haque visited the grief-stricken family Halder yesterday afternoon, after returning from Delhi. MP Haque said: “I have demanded a Central Government job for Abhishek, Malay’s brother. Malay was a navy crewman and met with an accident while on duty. I will provide them with all help.”
However no one from the ruling Trinamool Congress has visited Malay’s home till now. However agriculture minister, Malay Ghatak, who hails from Asansol, said he had asked Durgapur Mayor and local MLA Apurba Mukherjee to visit the Halder soon.
Meanwhile naval officials on Wednesday said that the DNA identification process to identify the seven bodies recovered so far is on. The bodies would then be collected from JJ Hospital mortuary and all the coffins would be brought to the jetty, where a full guard of honour would be given to them. Defence Minister A K Antony and Navy chief Admiral D K Joshi are likely to attend the ceremony. Arrangements would then be made to send the bodies to their families for the final rites in their hometowns, where another guard of honour would be given before cremation.
Navy officials also said efforts are on to look for the remaining 11 bodies, but since divers have searched all the compartments on the sub, there is a dim chance of any more being recovered. At the time of explosion, most personnel were in the first compartment, which was laden with torpedoes, which makes the chance of finding any body bleak.