A major fire broke out in a sari shop at the Andal South Bazar near Durgapur yesterday early morning. Locals and fire fighters from Durgapur Fire Service Station took nearly three hours to douse the fire.
Though no casualties have been reported but Saris worth INR 30 lakh were destroyed in the fire. The shop in which the fire broke out is more than 25 years old and is a women’s garment selling shop.
At around 4 am yesterday, locals woke up seeing smoke coming out of the shop, run by one local vendor, Mr Iftikar Alam Ansari, in South Bazar market close to Andal railway station. Nearly a hundred people assembled when the vendors started shouting. Initially the locals came to the rescue and tried to bring the blaze under control. Meanwhile police and fire brigade were also called up.
Two fire tenders from Durgapur reached the market and it took nearly three hours to take control over the blazes. Fire officials said: “We suspect electrical short-circuit was behind the incident. The power cables were not maintained properly in the shop.”
Locals voiced concern over the fact that it took nearly an hour for the firefighting engines to reach Andal from Durgapur. The locals also demanded for setting up a Fire Service Station at Andal considering the growing importance of Andal in recent time.